Wednesday, 17 August 2011

17 August 2011 - Williams Visit

Topiary pit stop outside Williams F1 museum
On 17 August I was very lucky to be invited along to Williams open day by a lovely friend Nicky.

We were shown around by one of the designers who she knew.  First we went around the factory and saw lots of lasers cutting parts out for the wind tunnel model.  Then we went in to the main factory area where lots of huge machines and computers were making parts for proper F1 cars.  It was amazing to say what a huge scale the work is done on and just how many people work there. 
After the factory tour we went around the museum.  I bought a spring from a car to use as a pen holder and Nicky got a hoody, I hope someone will hug her now :)

It's amazing to think how long Williams have been going.  They are  not my team of choice as since I've been following F1 they haven't been very good.  The chap who showed us around assured us they would be better next year as they had sorted out some of the down force problems.  Fingers crossed.  I shall keep an eye out for them.


Yours truly about to be run down

Wind tunnel size car, this one was the Le Mans car


A simulator all the kids were loving

Thanks to Nicky for the invite and Doug for showing us around.  It was fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment